Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'm New...

So after watching "Cliffhanger" for the fiftieth time I thought I should give this climbing thing a shot. How hard can it be? All you have to do is grab a big rock and pull yourself up with your arms. So I went with my girlfriend and a few buddies to Climb Kalamazoo in Kalamazoo, Michigan to see what it was all about.


After paying my $12 for a college student day pass, getting all my fancy gear and my 30 minute belay class I was ready to start leading some 5.12's; it looks easy enough. So my buddy set me up on this 5.7 route with huge jugs. I killed it, what's next? A 5.8 with crimps? Bring it. Five feet up the wall I understood how hard climbing really is. After failing I decide it's time for some bouldering, and a half hour after that my forearms were shot and biceps were pumped. Climbing isn't the wall at the state fair or something you do at a birthday party at the local sports complex; it's an entire culture which ranges from a hobby for some and a way of life for others. Whoa... way too serious.

Climbing is something I have never been exposed too living in Michigan AKA the fifth flattest place in the world; Nebraska has to be numero uno. I have no technique, no experience, no knowledge of climbing specific training, however, it is something I am ready to commit to at this point in my life. I have some new gear, new experiences, a lovely climbing partner, and a different perspective on the sport. So as I open up this blog for business I would like to invite everyone to come tell me how much I suck or share their stories and experiences for me because even Chris Sharma sucked at one point. So welcome and stay tuned.

P.S. Chris Sharma probably never sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment